Monday, June 17, 2013

it would be nice to know.

It's an interesting situation to be in. The situation I've found myself in, I mean. I gave my heart to my best friend of five years, and for a week, we were the perfect couple. But within a matter of days everything (and I quite literally mean everything) changed. I was left loving and he... well. He's got other things to focus on in his life. I'm excited for him, I really am. In fact, I couldn't be more excited for him. But as he's moved on to new things, I'm stuck here standing on the ledge between letting go and holding on.

Every day I question myself. Do I hold on to my love for him? Do I wrap it up in all those memories and stash it away inside my heart somewhere where I can find it a couple years from now and just hope for the best? Or do I let go? Do I work to get over it and move on? Because I've got options. At this point, I really do. But as a new young man makes his way into my life, I can't help but to timidly dance around the subject of my feelings... I can't give him my heart when it still belongs to my best friend. I don't want to give him my heart. It still belongs to my best friend. 

But if my best friend no longer desires my heart, then I've got to give it away at some point? 
I have a whole bunch of questions and not a lot of answers. Best friend, do you love me or not?

Because I think it would be nice to know, really.

2 comments:

  1. That is so rough! I'm so sorry. My best advice from previous experience is just give it time. If you're not sure what you should do, don't do anything. Within time, you will know exactly what you will need to do. You will either let him go or keep holding on because time is all you need. I promise!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it's possible to let love go then it's not the love that you will hold onto forever.

    ReplyDelete